Injuries are a common occurrence in every profession. Some jobs may be more hazardous than others, but all professions have their own set of risks. Occupational injuries cause severe pain, limit mobility, and reduce productivity. Injuries can happen in any workplace, whether it is an office, a construction site, or a manufacturing plant.
Workplace injuries can have on an individual’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being. In Pennsylvania, workman’s compensation laws exist to protect workers who have been injured on the job. A lawyer’s job is to ensure that their clients receive the compensation they deserve. Understanding workman’s compensation laws is essential to handling injury claims.
Types of Injuries
Workplace injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to more serious injuries such as broken bones, burns, and head trauma. Some of the most common types of workplace injuries include:
Strains and Sprains
Strains and sprains are some of the most common injuries that occur in the workplace. Worker overexertion, poor posture, or repetitive motions create a potential for strains and sprains. These injuries occur from improper lifting techniques and poorly designed workstations.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls can happen in any workplace, but they are especially common in settings with wet or slippery surfaces. Workers are more susceptible to falls when floors aren’t kept clean and dry, no warning signs in hazardous areas, and incorrect shoes.
Cuts and Lacerations
Cuts and lacerations can be caused by sharp objects such as knives, broken glass, or machinery. Without the proper protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and proper training on the use of machinery and equipment results in these types of injuries.
Worker burns occur in workplaces where employees are exposed to hot surfaces, flames, or chemicals. Employees without protective clothing and working near open flames or hot surfaces are susceptible to burns. Equipment and machinery should have been regularly maintained to prevent malfunctions that could lead to a fire or explosion.
Eye injuries are another common workplace injury, and they can be caused by flying debris, chemicals, or bright lights. Damage to the eyes occurs when employees don’t have the correct safety glasses or goggles whenever they are working in hazardous areas. Also at fault are proper lighting in work areas and all machinery and equipment are equipped with safety guards.
Hearing loss is a common occupational injury that can result from prolonged exposure to loud noises. To prevent hearing loss, employees should be given earplugs or earmuffs when working in noisy environments. Employers should also monitor noise levels in the workplace and take steps to reduce them whenever possible.
Respiratory problems can be caused by exposure to dust, fumes, and other airborne particles. Management should provide respiratory protection for employees working in areas with poor air quality. Employers should also ensure properly maintained ventilation systems prevent the buildup of dust and other particles.
Repetitive stress injuries
Performing the same motion repeatedly, such as typing, using a mouse, or lifting heavy objects.
Struck by object injuries
Employees hit by falling objects, flying debris, or moving machinery.
Employees who operate company vehicles, such as delivery trucks, may be involved in accidents that cause injuries.
Construction site accidents
Construction workers are often at a higher risk for injuries due to the nature of their work, which involves heavy machinery, scaffolding, and working at heights.
How a Lawyer Can Help
If you’ve been injured on the job in Pennsylvania, you may be able to file a workers’ compensation claim. Workers’ compensation is a state-mandated insurance system that provides benefits to employees who are injured on the job. These benefits can include medical care, lost wages, and even permanent disability payments. To file a workers’ compensation claim in Pennsylvania, you must first notify your employer of your injury within 120 days of the date of the injury. You can do this by filing a workers’ compensation claim form with your employer. Your employer then has 14 days to accept or deny your claim.
If your workers’ compensation claim is accepted, you will receive two-thirds of your average weekly wage as well as financial coverage for all relevant medical expenses. These payments, known as Temporary Total Disability (TTD) payments, will continue until you are healthy enough to return to your job.
However, not all workers’ compensation claims are accepted. If your claim is denied, you may need to file a lawsuit against your employer or their insurance company. A workers’ compensation lawsuit is a civil lawsuit that seeks to recover damages for your injuries and losses.
Navigating the workman’s compensation system can be complicated. It’s essential to have a lawyer who specializes in this area of law.
Here are some ways a law firm can assist clients.
- Filing a claim: The first step in the workman’s compensation process is filing a claim. A lawyer gathers the necessary documentation and ensures that the claim is filed correctly.
- Negotiating a settlement: In some cases, an insurance company may offer a settlement to an injured worker. Lawyers negotiate a fair settlement that covers the full extent of their injuries.
- Representing the client in court: A lawsuit is filed against the employer or the insurance company if a claim is denied or if the insurance company refuses to pay a fair settlement,
- Ensuring the client receives medical treatment: In addition to helping clients receive compensation for their injuries, a workman’s compensation lawyer ensures they receive the medical treatment they need to recover fully.
Consult an attorney
- Workman’s compensation lawsuits can be complex, and it’s essential to have a lawyer who specializes in this area of law to ensure that your rights are protected. If you’ve been injured on the job in Pennsylvania, it’s crucial to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your options. Remember, you have the right to receive compensation for your injuries, and a lawyer assists you in understanding workman’s compensation laws and navigating the system for your injury claims. Law firms like Amil Minora Law help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.